Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2016

A bumpy trip down memory lane

Oct. 2, 2016

Today we start the second leg of our trip - Cruisin' the Coast on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  We started out with breakfast with my brother, who still lives in Jackson.  We met at Another Broken Egg, in the Renaissance Center.   In all the years of dining out, this may have been the worst experience ever.  As a result of the abysmal service, we ended up getting a late start.

From the Renaissance Center, we took Hwy. 51/N. State St. south to Hwy 49.  This road through Jackson was the worst streets we've ever been on, with the possible exception of Michigan!  The road was so bad that I was going very slowly and was afraid I was going to tear the front end off the car.  The road went right by my old haunts.  We drove down the street I grew up on and the only way I could recognize it was by the street name!  Otherwise, it was pretty unrecognizable, but I did find my old house.  Continuing on the trip, we drove by where my grandmother lived, and where my parents and older brother lived until I was born.  Across the street, the goldfish pond I used to visit at Belhaven College is still there, but is only a decorative fountain now, no goldfish.  We continued on south, past downtown, bouncing and crashing along, wondering what would be the first part to fall off the car!  We finally got onto Hwy. 49 which would take us all the way to the coast.  At this point, I was beginning to wonder if we would make it before the car broke in half!  But, finally, after about 15 miles, the road finally smoothed out and was pretty good the rest of the way.

As we started looking for someplace to eat lunch, we discovered that not many of the local places are open on Sunday!  We finally stopped at Bumpers Drive-In in Mendenhall.

Bumpers Drive-In


After lunch, we had an uneventful trip on into Biloxi.  We checked into the hotel and then walked to downtown Biloxi for dinner at the Half Shell Oyster House.  This experience was the complete opposite of our breakfast experience.  Great food and great service!  We then walked back to the hotel.  Tomorrow, we will go check in at the registration site and start Cruisin'!

The Half Shell Oyster House - Biloxi

No comments:

Post a Comment